Thursday, April 29, 2010

Carrot Cake (Dairy-Free!)

I received a phone call from my mom last night, saying that she would really like carrot cake. I decided that I did, too :) We have a recipe that originated from my great-grandmother. We like a no-nonsense carrot cake that is just carrots and spices- no raisins, pineapple, nuts, etc. As I am making the batter, I realize something- we are completely out of eggs. I hate the taste of egg-replacer, and needed to find something else. You will be shocked at my substitute: Flax. Yup. You heard me. 1T ground flax + 3T water = 1 egg. It was the best carrot cake ever- you would never have known a difference.

Carrot Cake
1 1/2 c. Sugar
1 c. oil
3 eggs OR 3T flax + 9T water
2 c. Flour
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. baking soda
1 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. nutmeg
3c. shredded carrots

Mix ingredients. Bake at 350* for 45 min,

Let Cool

Cream Cheese Frosting (This is not Dairy-Free :P)
2 1/2 c. powdered sugar
1 Pkg (8oz) Cream Cheese
1T Milk
1t Vanilla
Dash of Salt

Beat together and spread over top!

Try it and let me know how it went!!

Bon Appetit!


No comments:

Post a Comment